• Kerb
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

then we should set out a bunch of coyotes,
    to keep the feral cat population in check.

what could possibly go wrong?

• ZephrC@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Sure, we could try it in Australia first. They love that kind of thing. It always goes great for them.

• pagshile@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

“So, we set coyotes loose to catch the cats. Then what? We get a wolf to eat the coyotes? Then we get a tiger to eat the wolf!? WHAT EATS THE TIGER, DAD - TELL ME THAT!”

• Imgonnatrythis@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I mean you are partially right. Bringing back wolves would help in NA. They are supposed to be a part of the ecosystem and might help keep coyotes in check to a degree at least and would certainly keep killer deer population is n check. They were eliminated more out of fear than legitimate threat and killer deer have now far exceeded human threat compared to wolves.

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’ve got bad news if you think cats don’t survive winter… And I’m living in a more northern region too…

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

Or there is just more predation in the winter, more starvation, or more car strikes; you don’t know it’s the cold

• halvo317@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

I don’t understand your point. I’m saying the effects of an inhospitable winter environment does quite a bit of the dirty work for keeping feral cat populations in check. Were you agreeing with me?