• a_statistician@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Because that’s not why many of us are on these meds. For me, they allow me to not burn the house down cooking dinner, and ensure that I still have enough executive function left after work to not lose it on my kids due to the chaos they cause in my house. I don’t take the meds to be a productive worker bee, I take them so that I can be a decent mom and take care of myself and my family.

• nromdotcom@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m sure that’s what’s happening in some cases, but I will say that every single person I know that takes stimulant drugs to treat ADHD need it to literally function on a day to day basis.

And no, I don’t mean “function as an overworked cogwheel.” I mean “remember to eat food regularly and in reasonable quantities.” I mean “be able to remember to and stay focused on exercise to stay healthy.” I mean “not be so constantly burnt out trying to catch up with chores that they have the energy to go out with friends.” I mean “being able to provide more than sporadic, partial attention to their family or romantic partner.” I mean “being able to fully enjoy their hobbies or other passions because they can focus long enough to actually take part.”

I’m not suggesting there aren’t people either abusing prescription stimulants for “the grind.” And I’m not suggesting that some people aren’t prescribed stimulants improperly when maybe therapy would be a better solution or even when there is no real problem to begin with. But I am suggesting that prescription stimulants have changed millions of peoples’ lives for the better, including the at least 5 I know personally.

• TooMuchDog@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s a weird way to say “I don’t understand the difficulties that people with ADD/ADHD face and how those difficulties still exist during unproductive time.”

• Midas@ymmel.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My wife has ADD and she needs medication to live. Her inability to filter stimuli means constant migraines. We’re not from the US but even here there’s been shortages of Methylphenidate-like substances and it’s scary as fuck because not only does it mean hell but she also can’t really function in daily life.

• bhj 🦥@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Before I was diagnosed and medicated I flunked out of college, my marriage was strained, and I couldn’t hold down a job. I am much more thoughtful, intelligent, well-spoken, creative, and happier on my medication.

I acknowledge that my experience might not apply to everyone but your comment is disregarding people with ADHD that want to be, well, part of society.

• cavemeat@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

While I understand the sentiment, this is rather hostile to the group that take adderal to function. My sister takes hers at 6 am sharp so she can actually get out of bed and make breakfast. Without it, it takes hours for her to get up and she’ll struggle to eat and do things. I’m on a non-stimulant these days, but I need it, otherwise I struggle to keep up with hygene.