I got a lot of my headlines from reddit. Due to the impending death of my favorite app (Sync for Reddit) however, that’s coming to an end.

I’m now realising my Reddit experience had deteriorated slowly, just doomscrolling the hours away wasn’t healthy and I’m even kind of glad this is a good reason to end it. However, reddit has been really useful for news, especially the comments (taken with the right amount of skepticism) could be very informative.

I hope Lemmy builds something similar, but the defederation of beehaw’s news has been a setback.

What would be a good alternative, going forward, for getting news and backgrounds from varied, trustworthy en unbiased sources?

• lotanis
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve started using newsminimalist.com It’s one of the most useful LLM based services I’ve seen. It’s an aggregator that uses ChatGPT to identify the significance of stories and group the articles on different sites about that story together and then summarise them.

I don’t want to spend hours every day reading news, but I do want to keep up to date with major events and it’s been good for that.

• lotanis
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

No, because the primary purpose of the LLM is to choose among news stories on existing news sites and just group them together put them in order - not so much opportunity to make stuff up.

It’s also doing summarisation, but that is something LLMs do pretty well and in that constrained way also don’t hallucinate (in my experience).