So growing up, I had this idea that the American dream was about that if you put in an honest amount of work, you would be rewarded with a good life. This would mean you would be able to take care of yourself and your family, afford a car and a house. In my view, working one job would probably be enough.

Nowadays, I get the idea that the American dream has become about working your ass off in order to have a chance to become a millionaire. Somehow glorifying “the grind” appears to be a part of it too now.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

That explains all the writers for popular TV, movies, and book series who are living in quads eating ramen in the their 30s. The reason there’s massive a doctors shortage is because people with money don’t want to go into a low paying position, and people without money can’t afford to make $30k year during their residency as their student loans go into repayment. The only way to become rich as a doctor now is to patent something, which is not why most people become doctors. Lawyers who make top sums all come from 16ish very expensive schools and are often legacies. And the gold rush of getting into tech companies and then falling into success is almost entirely over. If you’re not born wealthy there are fewer opportunities every day to change that.