Edit: thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Do keep them coming as it might be helpful for others who come across this, since it seems quite a few users are (understandably) bleeding from lemmy.world these days, like myself

I was looking for a solid instance to move to, but I’m getting burned out from trying to find the perfect instance that:

• is based in a country with reasonable privacy reputation (if it still fits the bill, outside Europe too is fine)
  • allows creating communities without admin approval (I’m willing to try getting into one of those too if needed, hopefully it would be accepting of creating niche communities though)
  • doesn’t defederate indiscriminately

The tool I used is lemmyverse.net but it seems the filtering isn’t working great, or I just don’t understand it, e.g. I filter by Italian language and the only Italian instance I know (feddit.it) doesn’t show up, while a slew of irrelevant ones is listed (Lemmy Português is there??)

Sorry if I sound so needy, maybe I’m just overthinking it, since posts are public and indexable by anyone. Do say so, if I should chill out and just pick one of the usual ones like lemm.ee etc.

P.S. I would love to self-host, but I’m currently not able to either, I don’t have enough technical expertise.

• nothacking
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

discuss.tchnics.de is quite lenient when it comes to defederation, only defederating instances that host content illegal under German law (CP, Nazi shit) and blatant calls for violence (Nazi shit) or massive spamming. Based in Germany so somewhat decent privacy (still in the 14 eyes). Main languages are English and German, but others are permitted.

Keep in mind that Lemmy as a whole provides very little privacy, with any instance being able to log almost all activity.

Also, images are not proxies by default so you can do this:

An image that tells you where you live based on your GeoIP location