Most of the time when people say they have an unpopular opinion, it turns out it’s actually pretty popular.

Do you have some that’s really unpopular and most likely will get you downvoted?

• nothacking
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Python is just as bad if not worse then JavaScript. The fact that if you misspell a variable name, instead of giving an error like any sane language, Python code will still run, but do something different then it looks like it does, creating a hard to spot bug is just awful. The amount of time I have spent debugging python code only to find a tiny typo that any sane language would have caught before the code even ran is several weeks now, I can’t imagine how much collective time has been lost over this, and a few other, horrible languages.

• scubbo@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Are you using type annotations and mypy? I strongly suggest them. Type systems are a great way to catch typos and errors!

• nothacking
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Thanks, this doesn’t fix all the problems I have, but should make maintaing Python significantly easier.

• scubbo@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

You got it!

I love Python, it’s probably my favourite language, but I’ll be the first to admit that its fast-and-loose style can make certain kinds of errors easier to make and harder to notice/fix. Glad this can help a little!

• zalgotext@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Ah, ok sure. Every dynamically typed language does that with assignments though, that’s kinda the point of dynamic typing. You can use linters to easily catch that kinda stuff though.

• edriseur@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Do you use a linter? I switched to Ruff several months ago and it is amazing, it finds many defects and runs very quickly (even on huge disgusting legacy files)

• stebo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

if you use vscode, you’ll never experience that issue. It highlights unused variables so you’ll spot your mistake immediately