• Hazzia
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Before the rents increased too much, I lucked into an old 1930’s era house in a rural town 1 hour away from work with all these lovely features:

• Rotting fiberglass insulation
    • ungrounded outlets
    • no dishwasher
    • a clothesline instead of a dryer
    • non-catastrophic plumbing issues
    • unfinished drywall on the second floor
    • windows with busted opening mechanisms
    • gutters with holes rusted through them
    • a shitty-ass furnace that cost me $600/mo to heat my house to 60F last year

All for the low-low price of “i can just barely afford the monthly mortgage payment”

But now that I’m a homeowner, I’m considered wealthy these days. Yeah, don’t see myself swinging R anytime soon.

• Ser Salty@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I know this might not be relevant, but American obsession with dryers seems so weird to me lmao. I live in Germany and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a dryer, even at my rich friends parents house, and them mafakers had a sauna in the basement. Just kinda interesting how they are completely culturally irrelevant in one country, and considered almost a basic necessity in another.

• Peppycito@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

In my part of Canada without a dryer you’d have damp, moldy clothes 9 months a year. I could hang them up inside to dry but I’d be running a dehumidifier beside them. We lived without a dryer for several years but it made laundry an extra pain in the ass and drying was always the bottleneck. No problem in the summer months with the clothesline.

• Ser Salty@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Yeah, I kinda suspected they were very useful/necessary in some parts and just spread to the rest because people move around a lot

• AProfessional@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

They are also, in the scheme of things, a very cheap and easy to install appliance (typically directly next to or on top the washer).