• monotrox
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I said that any calculation in electrodynamics CAN be done without imaginary numbers, I never said that it would be the most common or convenient way of doing things.

If you use a different form of solution to maxwells equations, electrical impedance can totally be expressed as just another real property. Fourier transform also is not necessary to solve maxwells equations or any other physical systems. It just might make it significantly easier and more convenient.

Obviously imaginary numbers existed and where used way before quantum mechanics was a thing but they werent technically necessary in physics because they never appeared in the equations of fundamental theories (Maxwells equations, general relativity, newtonian mechanics)

• eran_morad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Yes, and one CAN integrate by taking paper cuttings and dispense entirely with the idea of infinity.

• monotrox
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I was just trying to make an argument that imaginary numbers were technically not necessary and thus it makes historical sense that they werent seen as something ‘real’. Im not trying to get people to stop using them ;)

• eran_morad@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Eh, this is not worth your time or mine to argue about. Let’s move on. Also, I take your point.