• Haui
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s a fallacy. Why would I stop drinking alcohol, why would I stop smoking, why would I stop sunbathing without protection? Why would I leave the titanic? It is unsinkable. It works for you because you haven’t gotten to the bullet in the chamber yet.

The people here are trying to tell you that it’s not safe and that it will only get worse. And in opposition to your arguments, these facts are based on professional opinions and the known business practices of the companies these products are associated with.

I know you have your opinion but an opinion is not your personality. You can let go of it without ruining your life, again in opposition to keeping it and actually harming yourself, either financially or otherwise.

Why is it so hard to trust people who do this stuff for a living?

• Catweazle@social.vivaldi.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

@Haui @Cleverdawny, the discrepancy between Chromium and Firefox users is absurd, if there is a common enemy that endangers the existence of both and all the other minority browsers, it is this that in the end ends up that only Chrome, EDGE and Opera exist anymore, because these have no qualms about including this Google Tokens shit.
      It is a matter of thinking and acting together against this barbarism, something that Mozilla and Vivaldi are already doing, but more is needed.

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Thanks. That is very kind of you to point out. Also, I don’t care about firefox at all. It was just the best I could find at the time and since am watching industry news if something not only marginally better pops up. Hasn‘t yet. As a sysadmin it is my job to keep systems running and ideally not vendor lock the company or myself. That’s why I stay away from google as much as I can.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

@Haui, that is the problem, there are a lot of browsers, almost 100, out there, but there are only a few decent browsers.
          There is Firefox and Vivaldi, maybe Otter, the three I currently have, but FF and Otther, because of test reasons, due to different engines they use…
          Chrome, EDGE and Opera are Spyware, Brave not very trustworth because of shady relations with Cryptocompanies, a lot of other forks, some not so bad, but very weak in the market.
          No much left.

• Haui
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I agree. The reason for this is market control imo. Chrome is default on chromeos, edge on windows and they’re doing everything they can to make it hard to integrate with other things.

Actually, it should be outlawed to even install a browser and definitely to recommend one.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

@Haui, what should be declared illegal is that a private company dominates an essential public space such as the Internet today.Everyone uses the browser that suits them, as a basic tool to access this space. Those who want to protect privacy, avoid using those of these private companies like Google, Microsoft or this Chinese thing.

Open the rest of the text in a new tab
              https://file.coffee/u/5tHJjZEmLvw7f_g4P_99U.pdf

• Haui
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

Absolutely. I agree. There should be a tool to select browsers on every os but none preinstalled.

The description must come from the makers and sorting can only be done on alphabetical order, last update and number of downloads maybe.

Have a good one.

• Haui
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    11 months ago

Well, you could see it like that I guess. :D

But honestly, an app that just shows a repo of browsers (which were virus tested) and downloads one but can itself not be used as a browser should be mandatory for every OS and done.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

@Haui @Cleverdawny, I also use Chromium, Vivaldi since over 7 Years, not because Firefox or Otter Browser are bad, which I also have as second an third one, because of something called business ethics which has Vivaldi, because it fits best my needs, because it’s faster than FF, because it’s de-googled and don’t have third party investors, because it’s a European employees-owned Cooperative, it’s a safe Browser with good privacy, products associated are Mastodon, Vivaldi mail, own userblog, sync

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

That sounds pretty awesome. I read about vivaldi pretty often. If the need pops up I will definitely check it out. Thanks :)

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I‘m glad you see that there are no good argument against privacy and keeping away from giant corporations.