• Haui
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I agree. The reason for this is market control imo. Chrome is default on chromeos, edge on windows and they’re doing everything they can to make it hard to integrate with other things.

Actually, it should be outlawed to even install a browser and definitely to recommend one.

• Catweazle@social.vivaldi.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

@Haui, what should be declared illegal is that a private company dominates an essential public space such as the Internet today.Everyone uses the browser that suits them, as a basic tool to access this space. Those who want to protect privacy, avoid using those of these private companies like Google, Microsoft or this Chinese thing.

Open the rest of the text in a new tab
      https://file.coffee/u/5tHJjZEmLvw7f_g4P_99U.pdf

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Absolutely. I agree. There should be a tool to select browsers on every os but none preinstalled.

The description must come from the makers and sorting can only be done on alphabetical order, last update and number of downloads maybe.

Have a good one.

• Haui
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Well, you could see it like that I guess. :D

But honestly, an app that just shows a repo of browsers (which were virus tested) and downloads one but can itself not be used as a browser should be mandatory for every OS and done.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

@Haui, it’s the same, a repo to download a browser IS a browser, at least it’s engine. Because of this it’s irrelevant if there is a preinstalled browser or a repo dedicated. Also eg the Steam client is a Chromium (bad optimized, slow as hell, in Kiosk mode)
              Apart what will you do, if you want a browser which isn’t in this repo?
              I think it’s easier if the OS include a Browser and everyone is free to use it or use it to download a browser to his like from its official homepage.

• Haui
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

First of all, thanks but I‘m familiar with sysadmin stuff and a (web) browser is not the same as a repo.

I‘m talking about something like the appstore that you now have on most OSs. It needs to be open so no single corporation can control it. And it needs to be the same on all OSs for this browser issue (although one could argue it should be the same for everything).

And no, I‘m not talking about things that are just not available for windows/linux/macos but aside from that, the ui, sorting should be similar.

That way you make it impossible for MS to push edge, for linux to push firefox and for google to push chrome.

You visit the appstore and install your browser, then you can go online.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

@Haui, You cannot prevent an OS from modifying a Store according to its own interests, with which we arrive at the same thing that could only accept a list with links that point to the corresponding official pages of the browsers for download, an online activity that requires an engine for defect that is the same as that of the usual browser used, as in the example of the Steam client, in essence a Chromium in Kiosk mode.

• Haui
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    11 months ago

I don’t have the faintest idea where you have your info from but you can make an OS do whatever you wan‘t. As a programmer, it’s dead easy to make something appear a certain way, display certain things in a certain order.

You write a law that says (I‘m not a lawyer, bear with me): every OS that has a GUI must display a „get browser“ shortcut on the desktop/main screen after installation. This shortcut needs to open a store (similar windows/linux/macos/iOS stores) which displays all browsers in this open list [source] only sortable by name, newest update, ratings. No other markings, highlights or recommendations are allowed.

That then needs to be sharpened a little bit since there might be ways around it in this form. Then you have your problem solved.

Have a nice day.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

@Haui, ok but i still see the advantage there can be
                  How does a repository keep up to date with the 1000 or so existing browsers? Where is it downloaded from and what advantages does it offer compared to downloading it from its official website?
                  In Android there is the Play Store with dubious security and with many apps retouched and cutted off by Google, eg the app Blokada isn’t the same as Blokada from F-Store or the original .apk in the Website. In Windows I avoid the Store for same reasons

• Haui
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    11 months ago

As I already answered to you in another comment: there needs to be a law that specifies how this store/list is made, what it contains and how it is displayed. It has been done thousands of times. Trust me, it’s gonna work.