What song has good lyrics because of the idea/lesson/experience it shares?

@asklemmy

• Hazzia
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I’d say Satellite by Rise Against

You can’t fill your cup until you empty all it has You can’t understand what lays ahead If you don’t understand the past You’ll never learn to fly now 'Til you’re standing at the cliff And you can’t truly love until you’ve given up on it

It has an sort of “revolutionary politics” vibe as well in some other verses. That’s kind of Rise Against’s whole MO though, but I particularly like the lyrics from this one

• MagicianType0@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Another one of theirs that comes to mind is “Audience of One”. An excerpt from the middle verse and chorus:

Identities assume us. As 9 and 5 add up. Synchronizing watches to the seconds that we lost. I looked up and saw you, and I know that you saw me. We froze but for a moment… in empathy. I brought down the sky for you and all you did was shrug. You gave my emptiness a name.

Then you ran away. Now all my friends are gone. Maybe we’ve outgrown all the things that we once loved. Run away, but what are we running from? A show of hands from those in this audience of one. Where have they gone?