Former President Trump on Monday appeared to warn former Georgia lieutenant governor Geoff Duncan against testifying before the Fulton County grand jury in the state’s 2020 election probe.

Driving the news: “I am reading reports that failed former Lt. Governor of Georgia, Jeff Duncan, will be testifying before the Fulton County Grand Jury,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social account on Monday.

• “He shouldn’t. I barely know him but he was, right from the beginning of this Witch Hunt, a nasty disaster for those looking into the Election Fraud that took place in Georgia.”
  • Duncan, who criticized Trump’s false election fraud claims in 2020, said Saturday that he had been told to appear Tuesday before the Fulton County grand jury.
  • “Republicans should never let honesty be mistaken for weakness,” he wrote in a post on X.

What’s next: Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis appears poised to issue a charging decision on Trump’s alleged efforts to subvert election results.

The big picture: Trump’s Monday Truth Social post comes days after the judge overseeing a separate trial — the federal probe into his alleged efforts to overturn the 2020 election — warned against making “inflammatory statements” that could intimidate witnesses in that trial.

• U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan said during a Friday hearing that any appearance of witness tampering would increase the need for a speedy trial.
  • Trump already faces three criminal trials: In D.C. over efforts to overturn the 2020 election, in Florida over his retention of classified documents and in New York over an alleged hush money payment.
  • 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    English
    329 months ago

I’m not sure which I find more irritating. Witness tampering or media orgs calling Twitter “X.”

• Seraph
      link
      fedilink
      99 months ago

It should only ever be referred to as “X, formerly known as Twitter”. Much like Prince changing his name, this is a bad move for branding, though I suppose Prince didn’t give a fuck about that!

• pingveno
          link
          fedilink
          59 months ago

“Twitter, which Elon Musk rebranded as X with an estimated cost of $20 billion”

• EnderWi99in
        link
        fedilink
        99 months ago

Prince changed his name due to conflict with production companies. It was more done in protest as they were retaining so much of the revenue he brought in.

• Hegar
        link
        fedilink
        39 months ago

Just twitter is fine. You don’t have to do what an insane billionaire wants.

• Hyperreality
        link
        fedilink
        29 months ago

They should simply do a Prince, call it ‘the social media site formerly known as twitter’ and not mention X at all.

• @eestileib@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          19 months ago

Prince did that because he wasn’t allowed to release albums under the Prince name for some number of years.

So he said “ok fine I’m not Prince, I’m TAFKAP”, all of his fans knew where to see him on tour and how to buy his stuff.

Then when the 5 years or whatever ran out he coincidentally wanted to be Prince again.

Seems like a bad contract by the record company to me.

• CarlsIII
      link
      fedilink
      69 months ago

I still don’t call Facebook “meta”. I always suspected they changed the name in the first place because of the negative press Facebook was getting

• CarlsIII
          link
          fedilink
          19 months ago

TIL that’s a real thing and not some weird nickname people were giving to Google. Yeah, im going to call them that either.