Hi all,

I have a number of secondary drives in my system, and although they all have proper labels (which show up in the Devices section of Dolphin), when I open the drive, the tab title and window title bar state the size of the drive instead of the drive label (see screenshot).

As I have multiple drives of the same size, this gets confusing really quickly, especially when I’m trying to transfer things between drives or find a particular drive when multiple tabs are open. Is there any way to force Dolphin to display the drive label in the title bar instead of the volume size?

I’ve been searching this issue on and off for years, but have never been able to make any progress - I’m not sure if this is a me issue that no on else experiences, or just something that most people never encounter/don’t care about. It shouldn’t be a system setting - I’m seeing this on a fresh install of Debian, and also experienced the same thing on my previous install of Manjaro.

Any information you can provide would be very much appreciated - even if it’s just to tell me this is a quirk of Dolphin and nothing can be done (at least then I’ll know to stop searching for an answer!)

Current system:

Kernel: 6.1.0-11-amd64 
Packages: 3146 (dpkg), 12 (flatpak) 
Shell: bash 5.2.15 
Resolution: 1920x1200 
DE: Plasma 5.27.5 
WM: kwin 
Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3] 
Icons: breeze-dark [Plasma], breeze-dark [GTK2/3] 
Terminal: konsole 
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (24) @ 3.700GHz 
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT 
Memory: 4228MiB / 64206MiB 
  • aurtzy
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I remember having this issue, albeit not as workflow-disrupting as you’ve had it so I never bothered actively searching for a solution. I can confirm however that there is definitely a solution; at some point in my migrations to different distros, the problem stopped showing up, and right now I actually can’t reproduce the problem - labels are displayed correctly for me, both on my existing drives and new partitions that I create.

After some digging (and a sleep-deprived me smiting my boot partition during my investigation and having to fix that, LMAO - I never thought it’d happen, but Guix saved me from a reinstall), I found that LUKS1 has some kind of limitation that makes Dolphin not display the label as expected according to this and my own testing, which may be your problem if your drives are still using LUKS1. The Arch Wiki has a section on how to convert to LUKS2 here.

At the very least, if this is not the solution for you, I can say with certainty that it is fixable!

• parsnip@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Thanks for this (and for all the trouble you went through to look into it!). My drive headers were still using LUKS1 for some reason, so I booted up a live image, converted the headers to LUKS2, rebooted, and Dolphin didn’t care. All the tabs still show Xx T/GiB Encrypted Drive, even though luksDump shows they all have lovely LUKS2 headers, and lsblk shows the drives show up with the expected names.

I’m glad to hear that you found a fix at some point, so I’ll keep searching. I really appreciate your help!