• KrisND@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Bad bot, NewPipe works great but the piped website is horrible and I have yet to get it to even play a video with default settings.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Why is it a bad bot?

Personally, I prefer using really YouTube. I like having the record of what I watched on my account and being able to interact with things like the “like” button and comments, or add it to my Watch Later playlist. So I’m never going to intentionally seek out Piped.

But that doesn’t mean the bot is bad. It’s doing a good job for people who do prefer that site of making it easy for them. And I don’t see anything wrong with that.

• KrisND@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

I called it a bad bot because it’s become annoying, I strictly only use NewPipe on mobile because I like the features. I see this as nothing more than mass advertising with a bot to auto correct ppl.

However, with the bots I’ve seen here both piped.video and piped.yt do not work on my desktop or mobile devices, I have tried troubleshooting it but it’s not worth too much time when I can just view the direct YT using adblock and still not have any issues.

There is no reason the website should require me to turn off protections or other things if my current settings work on YouTube already.

It is also annoying that I have bots turned off in my settings and for some reason this bot that goes around making messages is the only one I see anywhere.