link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Technically 6E is the best in-use version for compatible devices. Same as WiFi 6 but adds the 6GHz spectrum that was recently unlocked by many regulatory agencies around the world. The 6GHz range is significantly less congested and would have better real-world performance in dense residential areas.

Edit: A few months ago I stumbled upon this site where the author goes quite in-depth about WiFi and does so in a way that is easy to understand. They debunk/corroborate claims and technologies advertised by manufacturers so it really helps demystify the process of selecting the right WiFi gear.

• MimicJar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

It’s funny that WiFi is alphabet soup as the other comment mentioned, they rebranded to a single, simple number…then chucked an E on the end.

I get how/why, but it’s just funny.

• Paradox@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

6E is great, but basically nothing supports it. I got a 6E capable AP from Ubiquiti, and looking at my devices table, basically nothing has ever used the 6GHz radio. My house has a wide variety of devices, many new. The only thing that’s used it is my MacBook

• Clusterfck@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I got over a 1 gigabit download on my S23 Ultra and still couldn’t believe that 10 years ago 10 megabit on wifi was considered decent.

• Paradox@lemdro.id
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

It’s the absolute best computer I’ve ever owned. Maxed out it’s ram and everything just flies

• mustardman
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Most new devices support 6E at this point with the exception of low-cost phones/computers and IoT devices.

• mustardman
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

WiFi in its current form will never be better than ethernet for backhaul applications as it is half-duplex. The benefits of the new spectrum are wider bands which makes the real-world speeds closer to the published speeds. Congested frequencies mean the bands must be more narrow, which lowers real-world bandwidth.