I also press F, but for grading the author, not as a sign of respect.

It doesn’t exactly inspire confidence into the reliability of expert assessments, when this is the kind of textbook used to train them.

• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

What fucks me up is that i don’t even get the paradoxical effect, and i’m hesitant to chug 600mg of caffeine to see if that does anything to me

• TommySalami@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Sometimes the paradoxical effect is just nothing, or very limited expected effect. The name is a bit of a misnomer in the sense that stimulants don’t have an opposite effect, but rather they are inducing stimulation where it is lacking for ADHD. So instead of getting this rush of energy and focus that a neurotypical individual would, those with ADHD are merely reaching a “normal” level of stimulation by compensating for a lack thereof. In essence the stimulants aren’t acting differently with ADHD, instead their action is compensation. You can see evidence of this in that those properly undergoing amphetamine therapy will still have some side effects of stimulants (e.g. reduced appetite).

At least this is how I understand it. I’m only a nurse, so I very well could have some misunderstanding here that hasn’t been corrected.