This is completely counter productive to growing Lemmy. I absolutely despise discord. Look at the network traffic it generates and tell me wtf they are doing. They won’t tell you. Their business model will leave you completely dumbfounded as to how they exist. Everything shared on the platform is lost in a black hole unavailable to the outside world and everything shared is a privacy nightmare. Posting this, pinning it here, and locking it is one of the biggest trolls possible. It pisses me off every time I log in. “Everyone else does it” is the excuse of idiots. Discord makes absolutely no sense to anyone that actually cares to look into it, read the user agreement, and ask sane questions about what they are doing.

• Blaze
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Eg, GitHub and Discord are widely considered the best options in their field.

Librewolf moved to Codeberg a few weeks ago, so I guess there are still alternatives.

As said elsewhere, Mozilla uses Matrix.

Following that logic, why do we bother using Lemmy in the first place? We could just go back to Reddit, using revanced apps with personal API keys, and call it a day.

Also, at least before Twitter became such a shitty alt-right shit hole, many FOSS products did have twitter accounts!

They did, but then Twitter went to shit. Reddit was fine, until it went to shit. If the Piped project were to use a subreddit instead of !piped@feddit.rocks , wouldn’t that be a missed opportunity too? FOSS project should support each other, otherwise it questions their existence in the first place. Why would other organisations and companies bother with the FOSS alternatives if FOSS projects themselves don’t?

• cubedsteaks@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Following that logic, why do we bother using Lemmy in the first place?

I mean, I’m only here cause reddit sucks and I wanted to see if Lemmy has a different atmosphere. So far it does. Too bad its kinda dead around here.

• Blaze
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Enjoy your stay! It’s quieter indeed

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

yeah I was hoping for more interaction. I’m still digging for communities that have my interests too.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

I watch a lot of old tv and I see communities here for that but they seem to lean towards newer media - reddit has all kinds of niche subs that get traffic and interaction for the stuff I like. Unfortunately its not worth it to be there for it cause so many people are there to just troll/make things difficult for people.

I also like make up and J-fashion. I saw no communities for either and the closest I saw was a goth community which isn’t geared towards the fashion, but the music side of it.

Really like having local communities too. I’m in Portland, OR which has several sub reddits - but there are communities here that seem to get no interaction, just posts with links.

Also artwork, I’m an artist and looked around at the art communities here. Nothing really stood out. It seems to be reposting other people’s art or just art that doesn’t fit on other sites so nothing that I actually like, where as I have to get that mostly on tumblr anyway. That’s the only place I seem to find artwork I enjoy and fanart. I’m really shocked there isn’t a fanart community here. I supposed I could start one but then I run the risk of reposting artwork and needing to credit everytime and the inevitable risk of me just posting and no interactions. (if you’re not familiar, some artists don’t like reposts even if they are credited for it)

When I use the lemmy explorer, I find a lot of communities like that too. Seems to be one or two people posting, no posts get comments.

There’s also radio shows and podcasts I listen to and I don’t see any communities for those either but I think those are like some really niche interests of mine and I was shocked that Phil Hendrie had a sub reddit even, the guy is so unheard of.

I guess not liking mainstream stuff is really shooting me in the foot but like, I can’t help what I like?

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

yeah. I think about contributing to content but I also see a lot of what seems like people just posting links and media into the void.