and only through that garbage authy

you can use any TOTP app. I use bitwarden

• ReversalHatchery@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

How? How do you import the secret key to it? Are they finally showing a proper QR code when setting it up?

My account is still locked to authy, and the support pages I have read are written as if it would still work through authy for everyone.

• SkaveRat
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Are they finally showing a proper QR code when setting it up?

At least that was the case for me. I removed 2FA to make the authy key invalid and activated it again. and they do the normal TOTP setup stuff during setup

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

That sounds good. I still have a working login somehow, but unfortunately I can’t disable authy, because they want a code to do that, and they won’t accept those that I have, even though it was working when I have set it up.

• SkaveRat
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

do you have the backup codes somewhere? Could help

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Also, thinking about it, the prompt does not give an option to use a recovery code, but only to try with the phone number (which is dead by now), or contact support.

• SkaveRat
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

tbf, that’s a bit on you. The whole point of 2FA is to prove that you are you. and if you completely killed that factor without deactivating it first or having a backup in any way, I can see the support not doing much. I’d be pissed if someone could just contact support and deactivate my 2FA method

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

I didn’t enable it because I wanted it for security, but because twitch required it. And then I have set it up with TOTP for security while I was doing it, which does not work anymore either. Also, I did not kill the phone number, it is a public phone number that doesn’t receive messages anymore. And if you blame me for not wanting to give up my own phone number, I don’t know that to tell you. My privacy matters much more than caring about the possibility that someone finds out my 30 long random password and catches the SMS code from the website where they were shown.

I can see the support not doing much. I’d be pissed if someone could just contact support and deactivate my 2FA method

The 2FA prompt itself tells to contact support in cases like this.
                  Other than that, email verification is perfectly fine for verifying that it’s me. The address was never changed. Actually, as I have seen in a friend’s account they are using email already as 2FA for logins, if you don’t have any other way set up, maybe for other functions too.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

I don’t. Not sure whether they even provided those when I have set it up, maybe they thought that since it’s stored online you can’t just lose it, but I really don’t remember whether there was any I could have saved. It way years ago.