It is probably due to a number of people stopping using their alts after some instance hopping.

Also a few people who came to see how it was, and weren’t attracted enough to become regular visitors.

Curious to see at which number we’ll stabilize.

Next peak will probably happen after either major features release (e.g. exhaustive mod tools allowing reluctant communities to move from Reddit) or the next Reddit fuck up (e.g. removing old.reddit)

Stats on each server: https://lemmy.fediverse.observer/list

• @BlazeOP
    link
    39 months ago

Don’t revanced apps with personal API keys solve that issue?

• @Traegs@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      79 months ago

I’d argue that some people are not tech savvy enough to figure that out. Whereas Lemmy is actually less complicated.

• @bitsplease@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        59 months ago

Yeah asking people to sign up for developer accounts and manage their own API is a pretty big blocker.

I know a lot of people are probably scoffing at the above statement, because in reality it’s quite easy, but I think people often forget how tech illiterate the average person is. Hell, the number one criticism of Mastadon, Lemmy, and other fediverse sites is that the sign up process is complicated, despite the fact that it involves exactly one additional step (pick an instance).

• @BlazeOP
          link
          19 months ago

I think there are two types of users

• either they are tech savvy enough to use revanced
          • or they are not, but then they don’t mind the official Reddit app

In both case, they are not moving to Lemmy

• @BlazeOP
        link
        59 months ago

I think there are two types of users

• either they are tech savvy enough to use revanced
        • or they are not, but then they don’t mind the official Reddit app

In both case, they are not moving to Lemmy

• @ChronosWing@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          29 months ago

I still visit reddit from my revanced sync app, although Sync for Lemmy has taken the Sync for reddit spot on my homescreen. So I do spend more time here but sometimes I jump to reddit because of certain subs I still like to visit.

• ReadFanon [any, any]
      link
      fedilink
      29 months ago

Rumour has it that Reddit has been banning accounts for misuse of API keys used to patch 3rd party Reddit apps.

• @BlazeOP
        link
        39 months ago

I had a look, they are banning accounts with apps using other apps’ keys.

As long as someone uses their own key, they’re fine