Hello everyone,

Opening this thread as a kind of follow-up on my thread yesterday about the drop in monthly active users on !fediverse@lemmy.ml.

As I pointed in the thread, I personally think that having some consolidated core communities would be a better solution for content discovery, information being posted only once, and overall community activity.

One of the examples of the issue of having two (or more) exactly similar Fediverse communities (!fediverse@lemmy.world and !fediverse@lemmy.ml ) is that is leads to

• people having to subscribe to both to see the content
  • posters having to crosspost to both
  • comment being spread across the crossposts instead of having all of the discussion and reactions happening in the same place.

I am very well aware of the decentralized aspect of Lemmy being one of its core features, but it seems that it can be detrimental when the co-existing communities are exactly the same.

We are talking about different news seen from the US or Europe, or a piece of news discussed in places with different political orientations.

The two Fediverse communities look identical, there is no specific editorial line. The difference in the audience is due to the federation decisions of the instances, but that’s pretty much it, and as the topic of the community is the Fediverse itself, the community should probably be the one accessible from most of the Fediverse users.

What do you think?

Also, as a reminder, please be respectful in the comments, it’s either one of the rules of the community or the instance. Disagreeing is fine, but no need to be disrespectful.

• BlazeOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

People seeing the lock of the .world community as a power trip from the lemdro.id mods (which were coming from Reddit)

• cole@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Although it’s worth clarifying the !android@lemdro.id mods did not have any power in that decision. The original mods of the LW android community made that choice independently

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Indeed! Sorry, it’s been a while and with everything that’s happening lately it’s hard to keep track of all details!