link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I think that this actually at least appears to be a good step from google.

Third parties no longer need to know who you are. As i understand it, chrome can directly deliver only the necessary information just when it is needed. No external saving of data required.

Also: get over it. Most of the internet works, because people learn of products and then buy them. Personalized ads are sent to show people things, which they specifically might be interested in. People want to sell products and solely this allows many websites you probably like to use, to exist in the first place.

No one here is inherently evil or owns you, because they can show you relevant marketing.

• self@awful.systemsOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Also: get over it. Most of the internet works, because people learn of products and then buy them.

holy fuck I’m so sorry you think this is it, that this broke-ass business model is all that ever existed for the internet, that you’ve never experienced the good bits that used to be relatively plentiful but are now rare

…it’s also kind of fucking stupid to post an opinion like this on the fediverse of all places

• Steve@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

it’s also kind of fucking stupid to post an opinion like this on the fediverse of all places

this is the best mic drop savagery I’ve read in a while. There is no coming back from it.

• archomrade [he/him]@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Third parties no longer need to know who you are. As i understand it, chrome can directly deliver only the necessary information just when it is needed. No external saving of data required.

This isn’t better at all. Sure, there are fewer parties that collect the data, but that just means only google can sell access to it, which gives google a near monopoly. This is only good if you think Google deserves more power and influence.

Also: get over it. Most of the internet works, because people learn of products and then buy them.

Nice. “The internet only works if you let them manipulate you with your private info” is quite the take, especially when you’re on a website that works without it. Next you’ll say, “ads might work on you, but i’m just built different”.

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Next you’ll say, “ads might work on you, but i’m just built different”.

I am almost certain that that user believes exactly that, and pairs it with “if you don’t like (bad thing company does) just don’t buy from (bad company). Vote with your wallet. Simple.” as a thought terminating cliche that ignores systemic harm, monopoly tendencies, and lobbying power.

• ElTacoEsMiPastor@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

It’s not like marketing has to be an essential part of the browsing experience, either.

How would the interest break without ads? I can’t see that happening.

• bitofhope@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

solely this allows many websites you probably like to use, to exist in the first place.

I’m used to loss. Bring it on.

• self@awful.systemsOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

but how will we survive without our favorite passionless low-quality content designed to drive ad impressions with no other goal in mind

• bitofhope@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Oh no, what if some of my favourite CONTENT CREATORS weren’t able to CREATE CONTENT as a profession for the lack of advertising revenue. We might regress back to the barbaric days of 2009!

• swlabr@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

In the spirit of rationalism I’m going to invent terminology for something that probably already has better terminology, and spout a bunch of unsubstantiated stuff. Ads would be fine if advertising campaigns were zeroth order only, by which i mean, purely to publicise products with no effort to “sell” you on something. First order they try convince you to buy something, without lying. Second order is where they begin lying by omission, third order is when they begin outright lying. Higher orders are increasingly kafkaesque/dystopian. E.g.:

• any publicity stunt
      • Influencing ideas about identity to sell a product, i.e. real men eat meat, dolls are for girls, etc.
      • manipulating your personal ethics to launder the ethics of a company, e.g. an oil company urging an individual to go green so that the oil company doesn’t have to
      • legal racketeering, i.e. lobbying for regulatory measures that force people to buy something
      • any participation in a political campaign

The list goes on. As advertising has continued and the profession has been refined, the overton window of what was considered in good taste has shifted to include these increasingly perverse strategems.

Everything big tech has done with advertising just adds to the list. They’ve broken the window completely. To use a term from our old pal Yud, the “inscrutable matrices” that make up their personalisation algorithms might show you more relevant content alongside ads, but they will also trigger a positive feedback loop radicalising you into one ideology or another. See: facebook q-pilling middle america.