How can users confidently verify that a FOSS application is running from its published source code? Is there a easy way to check this, or is this based of checksum and hashes?

• Lunch@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Thanks for that. I’m honestly a bit surprised that there isn’t a more automatic way of checking this, like some sort of badge on Github or something.

• poVoq@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

There is, its called a Linux distribution repository or F-Droid for Android.

Why would you trust a badge on github if you don’t trust the original author to not tamper with the binaries? The only way is to either built from source yourself or get the binaries from a trusted 3rd party that does that.

• poVoq@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

That is an unrelated topic. By using a distro you are already implicitly trusting them over the random author that publishes binaries on their repo or so.

• rentar42@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Yes, I agree with the trust and that it’s effectively equivalent for most users. But I read OPs reply as asking specifically for “a more automatic way of checking (that it was build from source cleanly)”.

I think expecting that this has already been cleanly solved years ago is not unreasonable (until you realize how many rabbit holes this whole topic has to go down to work well).