• mustardman
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

It measures skin conductance, which basically is perspiration rate. It’s used in lie detector tests (which are not credible, by the way) as when your perspiration rate increases, so does your skin conductance.

Lie detectors use this to test if you’re fibbing and I’m sure Scientologist use to to enhance their manipulation when they know you’re talking about something that makes you uneasy.

• chaogomu@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I wandered into a Scientology center back around 2004 or so, they had left an e-reader sitting out.

It’s an analog ohmmeter. The one I saw had fucking alligator clips attached to two tin cans to act as handles.

My day job at the time used multimeters, and one of them was an old analog meter. I played with it, and the e-reader. They’re the same thing.

• mustardman
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Yes, this is saying the same thing. The value of conductance is the inverse of resistance. Galvanic skin response uses the term conductance because you’re measuring the presence of sweat, which conducts.

• frezik@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

They’ve had various models over the years, but yes, they’re all ohmmeters. Apparently, the current ones have updatable firmware for some reason, bringing us to OP.