• cmnybo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

The USB C connectors are way easier to break than a large barrel jack and they wear out faster too. If the USB C port is soldered to the motherboard, then you are in for a very expensive repair.

• const_void@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I used to be in the laptop repair biz. The most common failure mode we saw was the barrel connector. Even ones that were detached from the motherboard like the IBM Thinkpads had.

• ikidd@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

The Apple mag-connectors are pretty awesome. I’ve never owned a macbook, but I still think those are the cat’s ass.

• tal@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Honestly, I think that that has less to do with the connector itself and more because the power cord gets yanked.

I’d assume that you could get a similar effect with any connector, USB included. Well, Apple’s MagSafe ones maybe not, as that’ll just pull the cord away.

• tal@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

and they wear out faster too

The part that wears out is the thing that maintains tension, and that is on the (cheaper, replaceable) cable for USB.

My understanding that this issue was part of why the move away from mini-USB to micro-USB and later USB-C happened. Mini-USB had the tensioning gizmo on the device, rather than on the cable.

googles

Yeah.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/18552/why-was-mini-usb-deprecated-in-favor-of-micro-usb

Why Micro types offer better durability?

Accomplished by moving leaf-spring from the PCB receptacle to plug, the most-stressed part is now on the cable side of the connection. Inexpensive cable bears most wear instead of the µUSB device.

• BaconIsAVeg@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Maybe don’t treat expensive hardware like it was made by Fisher Price? Why should consumer electronic manufacters cater to the careless at the cost of conveinence?