EDIT: no, I don’t sympathize with nazis (neither I sympathize with those who call everyone nazi when they’re losing an argument ;)

• mustardman
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Celebrating an increase in life expectancy from 30 to 40 years old is not remotely the win you think it is.

• Zuzak [fae/faer, she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I’m celebrating the increase in life expectancy from 35 to higher than that of the US, actually, which is the win I think it is.

The point is not the immediate increase in that specific 5 year period, the point is the clear trend of rapid, long term increases after a long period of stagnation, with the pivitol turning point being exactly when the CPC came to power. You’re supposed to look at the whole graph.

• mustardman
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

China never manipulates data coming out of their authoritarian country so good thing we can trust it. I’m sure their life expectancy is great with all their industrial pollution that regularly causes smog in their inner cities.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Here is my source do you have a source that disputes that? Or is your belief based entirely on unfalsifiable faith?

Also curious if you think Chinese life expectancy is still like 35 or what lmao

You may also be interested in what the World Bank, that infamous communist propaganda rag, has to say:

Over the past 40 years, the number of people in China with incomes below $1.90 per day – the International Poverty Line as defined by the World Bank to track global extreme poverty– has fallen by close to 800 million. With this, China has contributed close to three-quarters of the global reduction in the number of people living in extreme poverty.

• mustardman
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I would expect you to understand unless you’ve read theory.

• mustardman
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Milton Friedman and Ayn Rand. In Fountainhead, she goes in depth about how Chinese life expectancy statistics are generally made up.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

Milton Friedman and Ayn Rand

michael-laugh

That’s incredible, I honestly did not see that one coming.

So tell me, what’s your best guess at what Chinese life expectancy was before the CPC came to power, and what do you think it is now? Do you dispute the numbers from before the communists were even in power? Or do you think they’re still living in mud huts?

• mustardman
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    10 months ago

You can laugh, but communist oppression is no laughing matter. Please see this article where Ben Shapiro writes a thesis-level takedown of the mythos of Chinese life expectancy.

• HumanBehaviorByBjork [any, undecided]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

My god he can’t read a graph. How has our educational system been allowed to fail for this long?

I’m not committed at all to China as the salvation of the communist project, but it’s exactly this sort of self-imposed illiteracy and ignorance, and nearly religious faith in the inferiority and duplicity of The Orient that makes me default to distrusting anything negative a cracker says about it.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

let’s skip to the end of the discussion: I say “that’s not anything like what I said.” you say “yes but you believe those statistics are true???” I say “do you have any good evidence that they’re fabricated, and that the life expectancy in China is actually still hovering around 40?” you beg the question, possibly implying that Chinese people are inherently untrustworthy, and accuse me of supporting genocide. There is nothing I can say to you that will instill an ounce of critical thinking ability in you.

wall-talk

• mustardman
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I mean all Hexbear links are essentially the Pravda. It doesn’t help when you guys treat Wikipedia like it’s somehow the same as conservapedia.com

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

I don’t think census data compiled and verified by the UN DESA is Pravda, a publication which does not exist anymore. I quite like Wikipedia and I think it’s a very good way to get a quick introductory understanding of a topic which you’ve just learned about. In this case it prints a similar graph citing the same data, so I don’t know why you would mention it to support your strange argument that China’s life expectancy has not significantly improved under communism.

It’s not even that outrageous a thing to believe, but you demand that I presume it false because believing that China is a normal country opens the door to believing a whole bunch of other scary things.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  10 months ago

I don’t really care whether or not China is communist, or if other people think it’s communist for various esoteric reasons. It doesn’t effect me either way. State Department propaganda and warmongering does effect me though.

• mustardman
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    10 months ago

Of course you don’t care if it is communist. Communism was never the point. Mask comes off that you guys are just authoritarians masquerading as glorious revolutionaries.