• unknowing8343
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not good enough of an excuse, IMO. Link aggregation is essentially a normal post with just a link to somewhere else, which you can totally do in any forum… and it is no bloat at all.

I believe the reasoning was more like “we don’t want to do any federation, because the barrier of having to create a new account will free us from trolls/bots/etc”.

• heady@aggregation.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

They made their announcement on their own site, they are the somewhere else, and the link has found it’s way here so what’s the problem?

We call websites like this one link aggregators but they are just platforms, it’s the users who are the aggregators collecting the links that we are interested in. We don’t need a system of top down promotion and don’t need to have our platforms serve those who want to promote. Likewise projects like Jellyfin don’t owe us a presence and this post itself proves they don’t need one. The idea that everyone must maintain a brand identity and that our social media should be polluted with advertising is something that the fediverse has and I hope will continue to stand against.

• unknowing8343
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Nah, dude, chill, 😅.

They just built a nice independent forum, but I would have liked to be able to participate in their forum with this account (federation) instead of having to create a new account.

That’s it, this is not going to keep me awake at night, in fact, I am happy they are finding independence from Reddit. The world keeps turning, have a nice week!

• sillypuddy@mander.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

I wonder if Lemmy could do single sign-on support like how you can log in some places with your Google or Facebook account.

• dan@upvote.au
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yeah, definitely. Lemmy could implement an OpenID identity provider, then accounts could be used to log in to anything that supports OpenID Connect.

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I believe the reasoning was more like “we don’t want to do any federation, because the barrier of having to create a new account will free us from trolls/bots/etc”.

Agreed. And they don’t really benefit from the larger Reddit/fediverse.

And who knows what sites businesses block (not sure how that works with Lemmy).