• Haui
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

It really comes off confrontational. As an autistic adult with an autistic wife I can vouch for the exact opposite. It took me years to get a diagnosis, same for my wife.

We don’t have any resources for autistic adults, doctors don’t know shit about autism in adults and if someone has an abuse trauma, they get institutionalized for that instead of looking at the bigger picture.

I don’t wan to fight you. Your feelings and experiences are valid. Let’s just not try and gatekeep and we‘re on the same page, deal?

• ideaPDish@universeodon.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

@Haui @whoisearth
      I don’t understand your “It really comes off confrontational.” What is it in your words.

I had one visit with a pcp, and then read his session notes because I could. It was obvious that he really didn’t get what I said and instead reported that I was flakey, rather than consider that there was more depth than he could recognize. I wrote to correct him. I may have to teach him that diferent is not bad or dumb or a disability, it can also be a superpower. Just because I stim behind my back, doesnt mean that I can’t understand particle physics and ask hard questions, or sometime overload and need to leave the room. Medicine is dumb.

You are right, yo don’t want to fight me. As a camo I’m not exactly sure that my feelings are valid, even though my memories are sharp, and I know what I did would piss some people off. I mean, the past is the past and i’m not denying it happened. The reframe is comfort. Every day, millions of 'Oh yeah’s.

I’m working on figure it out.

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I‘m having a hard time finding the source of the miscommunication here but I get you. It is insanely frustrating to talk with the uninitiated about autism in adults.

My therapist stepped on my feelings so many times I can’t count them. „Do you really think you‘re autistic?“ well, the diagnosis says so and I also stimm a lot, have selective mutism, lack facial expressions, don’t understand body language, cant read or remember faces, am mindblind and countless other things I can’t think of rn.

I‘m not stupid either but it turns out I‘m very easy to take advantage of if I trust someone. Bad combination.