• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Thieves don’t pick locks or hack them. You mostly want to protect against brute force.

• kryptonianCodeMonkey@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

A lock is never weaker than a window. If someone wants in your house, there are ways that don’t have anything to do with your locks. Locks of any quality largely work by deterrence, rather than actual pickability or durability. If I have to literally break something to get in, I’m drawing attention to myself and immediately putting a count down on my robbery before a cop shows up or witnesses get a better look at me, my vehicle, etc. So it’s already not worth it for most petty thieves.

• variants@possumpat.io
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

when some thieves broke into my neighbors house they first rang the door bell a few times to make sure no one was home, after that they hopped the fence and went window to window until they found one that was unlocked and went in that way

• Wahots@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

This could go badly for would-be thieves, I usually don’t answer the door if I’m naked, lol. Hopefully, they like gay shit when they break in. ✨️

• variants@possumpat.io
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Haha the dudes that broke in left a big knife on their pillow too not sure if they actually would have used it or was just as a scare tactic, they were like two high school aged dudes that most likely were the kids who lived across the street

• TheIllustrativeMan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

A broken window is clear indication of theft for insurance purposes. If your lock gets picked, you might be fucked depending on how your policy is written.

• UPGRAYEDD@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I worked for a company that designed home security devices for a few years… Pretty much everyone i talked to agreed there is only 1 actually good security device that is an effective deterrent. Its called “Large Scary Dog”. Every other device is there just to notify you that all your shit is soon to be or already gone.

On the other hand, these digital locks, while not any safer, are much more convenient. I am all in on not having to carry keys and instead have a code to enter or some other easy access.

• R0cket_M00se@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Most dogs are fine if you just carry treats and act polite. I’ve seen plenty of dogs just let intruders in because they were kind to them.

• variants@possumpat.io
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Ive always wondered what happens if the battery dies, do you still need to carry a key in case that happens

• kryptonianCodeMonkey@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Usually there is a warning that the battery is dying well ahead of it actually being dead. One that can send notifications will ping your phone with a low battery message. Others have audible warnings. You unlock it and then it starts beeping at you. It keeps doing that until you either change the batteries or it eventually dies. But you have to do a lot of ignoring for it to die on you. Many do have key backups too though. Just in case

• RecallMadness@lemmy.nz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

A few have external terminals to charge them when they die.

I have a 9v battery stashed in a flower pot next to my door for when it happens.

• Zikeji@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

There are ones like August that only add the smart lock on one side and retain the old hardware on the outside. If the battery runs out you just gotta use your key like a plebian. It warns you ahead of time it’s low though and I’ve never had it fail in the half decade I’ve had it.