Hi, I would be interested in people’s opinion on the future of social media. Would activitypub ever become mainstream among “normies” that lack technical literacy?

How would monetisation work on a decentralized platform? Would the creator be limited with merchandise and promotions without ads?

Big tech walled gardens have made the internet worse. The only way you can find something on google is by appending the term “reddit” at the end of the search query. To many AI generated SEO clickbait wordpress pages.

All of the good content is locked behind a login screen.

• DogMuffins
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m certain that some activitypub implementations will be normal with some normies (governments/ universities creating their own socials), but also certain there wasn’t be one implementation that all normies are using.

In the same vein I think there will be a greater portion of users who are active on many platforms. 5 years ago most people engaged with content on a single chosen platform. In 5 years most people with engage with many platforms.

I think the common theme amongst all platforms will be a desire to control the content we see.