BMW Is Giving Up on Heated Seat Subscriptions Because People Hated Them::The blowback worked—but subscriptions for software-based new car features will continue, according to a BMW board member.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    English
    209 months ago

Cars peaked in 2004 or 2005, most cars since then seem to be user data collection engines with wheels attached.

• @Ton@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Peak car was 1990-1994, largely mechanical, little electronics and reliable as hell. My Merc from that time is built like a tank and everything is screwed together, not glued.

• @bug@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        49 months ago

All good until someone smashes into you and you discover how far safety features have come in three decades!

• @bug@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            English
            19 months ago

Assuming you mean that you yourself are a good driver who doesn’t get into crashes, that’s why I said “until someone smashes into you”, as in the crash that is completely out of your control!

• @Ton@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              19 months ago

True, but that you can also largely influence by defensive driving. When I rode 80 tkm a year for 15 years I’ve literally seen everything but was never part of it.

• @uint8_t@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        29 months ago

early '90s? nah, give me fuel injection, catalytic converter, ABS, and airbags, please

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
        link
        English
        29 months ago

The 1990 Honda Civic may be the most reliable car of all time. Sadly it’s also easily stolen with nothing but a screwdriver, but still!