There seem to be plentiful options for text chat servers, so I’m curious for those that self-host their own, what their preferences & experiences have been with them.

Also those mentioned in the title were just a few examples, if you run something else, e.g. Revolt or Mattermost or something else less popular, would be interested in reading about it!

• Chewy
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The new Element X is really awesome. Since it’s now in public beta I’m going to setup dendrite + mautrix-signal/-whatsapp/-discord behind their new matrix 2.0 sliding sync proxy.

The only thing I’m going to have to figure out is whether it’s possible to disable image compression for bridges, because the quality was pretty bad the last time I tried (not surprising after being compressed 3 times).

• JJGadget@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I grabbed Element X to try it out but my self host doesn’t support sliding sync. There is a sliding sync proxy docker that got put out to help but not sure I want to set that up if it will eventually get added to main. Might have to just wait. 😔

• Chewy
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I’ll definitely set up the sliding sync proxy for the time being. It’s such a big improvement (after the initial sync) that I don’t want to wait for native support in conduit. Especially since conduit takes some time to support new features quickly.

• Chewy
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I’m not sure since it’s been a while since I tried it on my matrix.org account, but I’d say it took about as long as logging in on a new device.