Google is gradually introducing a new method for delivering targeted ads in Chrome that aims to bypass the controversy surrounding cookies by using browsing history instead. This…

• smileyhead
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

You can use Chromium for that. Also it’s not a website then.

• Vardøgor@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

nope. thought so too until i had to install chrome in the middle of a meeting.

Also it’s not a website then.

?

• kono_throwaway_da@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

A website should be universal and not dependent on what browser you are using. I say that but we are all suffering from Chromeitis just like Internet Exploreritis in the 2000s…

Web devs never learn.

• smileyhead
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Because what would be the practical difference between this “website” and Android app if Android base was available on others systems?

Both are dependent on specific runtime, both are API based, with special way to do persistant storage (usually not for user to view), both have restrictive permission system, both isolate apps from each other… The only difference is Chrome does not have centralized app store and still has compatibility with regular websites.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

You can call it whatever you want, I need it for work. Also, Safari is Chromium and the site doesn’t work in Safari either. Whatever the Indian coders they contracted to make it did it in some way that only Chrome works.

But if you don’t want me to thank OP, fine. I withdraw my thanks.

• tb_@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Safari uses Apple’s own WebKit. Firefox uses Gecko. Besically every other browser uses Chromium.

• Cyberflunk@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Chromium is a fork of webkit Edge is now a fork of chromium Gecko/quantum do their own thing.

Aside from some edge cases in Linux land, those are the engines.