Hi all, I’m switching motherboards. No dGPU. Going from an Intel MB to an AMD one. I have my root partition on an nvme and the home one on a 2.5" sata. Do I need to reinstall, or can I just move the drives from the old MB to the new one without a problem? Figured since both Intel and AMD drivers are both baked into the kernel out of the box, wouldn’t it just work and I’ll only need to remove the Intel stuff? I’m running good ole endeavourOS with KDE Plasma if that makes any difference. Any insight is much appreciated

• entropicdrift@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

iGPU drivers should both be in Mesa, so no change needed by the user. Microcode it’d depend on the distro but most should support both out of the box.

• mustardman
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

amdgpu is distinctly separate from Mesa. Some distos have additional Mesa packages that also need to be instealled, now that you mention it.

• entropicdrift@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

amdgpu is a kernel module. Nearly every distro includes it in their kernel by default. Unless OP rolled their own kernel, they should already have it. If they start up their machine with an AMD graphics card of any kind they most likely shouldn’t need to install or configure anything.