• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Yeah, isn’t true anymore.

And hasn’t been for some time, since the nvidia drivers stopped killing your X-server every so often, making sure you remember your console commands.

Most things people complain about (partitioning drives, installing an os, setting up dualboot) isn’t something that is deliberately made complicated by Linux either. It’s only necessary because Windows is in the way, because your pc came preconfigured with it. and with Windows, these things are actually even way more complicated.

Tl;dr: Computers are complicated machines. Maintaining them requires knowledge. That has nothing to do with the OS. Also: Buy a PC that comes with Linux if you want Linux easy. (As you do with Windows or MacOS)

• rufus
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I don’t buy that. You either want that as a hobby or you don’t. You can’t have it both ways.

Buy a PC and use the distro on it. They seem alright. Or use the mainstream distro of today. They come with a desktop and a browser and LibreOffice installed etc

Or you want everything 100% specifically tailored to you and make all the important decisions yourself.

You just cant have both at the same time. It is just physically not possible. And that isn’t a limitation of the OS.

And also with other computers you do answer that question. Do I buy a Mac, do I buy something with Windows, maybe a Chromebook? Acer? Lenovo, HP?.. M2 processor or Intel or AMD? It’s pretty much a hobby…

(If you want an honest answer to your other questions: Use your distro’s defaults unless you specifically need something different. I cannot stress that enough. Otherwise you will need to put in extra effort. And it’s going to be your fault. Always use the distro’s package manager if possible. Don’t use Flatpak, Snap etc if you aren’t specifically told to because of proper reasons. And don’t listen to Ubuntu and whatever they’re trying to push nowadays. This might change in the future. But I think it’s sound advice for the next few years. And don’t use custom file managers etc. You’ll get one of the major destop environments. Use the default software that comes with it. It comes with a default file manager etc for a reason.)