Does anyone here use a decent free plan for hosting Nextcloud online? Or is it really worth paying or selfhosting? Thanks :)

• nutbutter
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I recommend setting up a home server using any old PC or laptop you have. Not having a static public IP may not be an issue, but if you are behind CGNAT, and cannot forward ports, you can route your data through a free provider like Oracle or Google. Those free servers are very weak but will be good enough to just pass through the data. This way even if they randomly decide to shut down and delete your instance, your data stays intact. I also recommend using SSL/TLS pass through, instead of termination, for better privacy.

• randomTingler@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Is there a guide to set up an oracle cloud that points to my home server?

I guess I can set up multiple subdomains to access multiple services that are running on my homeserver with different ports.

• nutbutter
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

TLS termination is very simple, and I have been doing that for years, now, but I trust my VPS provider. This is what you need to do for that. Install WireGuard on your Oracle VPS and your home server, and create a simple tunnel. Then install Nginx Proxy Manager (NPM) on your VPS. So, when you set up different services on your home server, say Nextcloud on port 8080, Jellyfin on port 3096, etc, all you have to do is point your NPM to these ports and use your WireGuard IP. NPM will also be able to issue certificates with no problems at all.

The concern with this is Oracle can (and probably will) sniff all the data that is going through. I have been trying to understand how to do the TLS pass through, but I have had no luck. Do share your experience if you do this.