Hi there! I found ubuntu server when I was starting to work in tech fulltime (I had done admin work and dev stuff before but not exclusively). A lot of folks had some linux experience and I learned about VMs at the time.

So I spun up a ubuntu server vm to check out linux. It took me a bit to get accustomed to the command line but it worked pretty well. Knowing some programming languages definitely helped to grasp the syntax.

I worked with the VM for some time and then started searching for ways to use my knowledge and hone it further. So I grabbed an old server that was in my basement and put ubuntu server on it.

This server now sits in my other room and has 8 TB of data on it, movies, tv shows (all backups of course…), my home automation system, dashboards, vaults, cloud data. The data is mirrored and backed up off site.

I also then came across it again at work when I took care of some servers we had there.

It has been quite a ride so far but also a lot of fun. currently trying to phase out my windows laptop for a ubuntu desktop tower. Wish me luck. :)

Thanks for reading. I’m curious to hear your stories.

• HauiOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Thanks for letting me know! :)