Hi there! I found ubuntu server when I was starting to work in tech fulltime (I had done admin work and dev stuff before but not exclusively). A lot of folks had some linux experience and I learned about VMs at the time.

So I spun up a ubuntu server vm to check out linux. It took me a bit to get accustomed to the command line but it worked pretty well. Knowing some programming languages definitely helped to grasp the syntax.

I worked with the VM for some time and then started searching for ways to use my knowledge and hone it further. So I grabbed an old server that was in my basement and put ubuntu server on it.

This server now sits in my other room and has 8 TB of data on it, movies, tv shows (all backups of course…), my home automation system, dashboards, vaults, cloud data. The data is mirrored and backed up off site.

I also then came across it again at work when I took care of some servers we had there.

It has been quite a ride so far but also a lot of fun. currently trying to phase out my windows laptop for a ubuntu desktop tower. Wish me luck. :)

Thanks for reading. I’m curious to hear your stories.

• Fermiverse
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Mostly debian but still want to share

To be honest I am the pointnclick windows guy, still I have:

• Homecontol running dietpi on an SBC
    • proxmox on an self built server running several VM/lxc with debian. I use it for plex, pyload, cloud backup, motioneye, syncthing

Basically linux found me as there is no way around when you want to run stuff on low power hardware.

I started with a mumble server on an NSLU2 😄

For my daily productive working or programming I am still bound to win. Although my gaming habbits now also use linux with my steamdeck.

• @HauiOPM
      link
      English
      18 months ago

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing! I envy your steamdeck. Really thinking of buying one.

• Fermiverse
        link
        fedilink
        18 months ago

If you don’t want to run the latest and the greatest in full ultra config steamdeck is perfect.

BG3 and starfield brings up the limits. While still running (bg3 better than starfield) this is the most you can get out of it.

Anything below or emulation wise its perfect

• @HauiOPM
          link
          English
          18 months ago

Thanks for letting me know! :)