• Hazzia
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Houses are overrated.

Seriously, even if you can technically afford it, if you’re not still flush with cash after close, it’s just infinite stress.

The main issue is that you are now locked into the area around your home. Unless you’re making so much to be able to afford a house AND appartment rent, your job opportunities have become that much more limited since remote job offerings are on the decline. Relocation assistance is a thing, but if your house purchase is at all recent, still a good chance that selling will put you in the red.

You also have to pay for any repairs or improvements in the event that the only house you could afford is old and not up to safety regulations. In my case, I also have interest rates to worry about. I bought my house while they were on the rise and locked in above my comfort zone (not in a “i’m about to bankrupt myself” kinda way, don’t worry) in hopes that they’d go down and I could refinance, but obviously they havent, so what should be a comfortable payment for me at 3% (~$1100) is instead a “wow I can literally never have fun anymore” payment of $1850 at 6.5%, and will remain so for the forseeable future. Also: Because the only affordable place was like an hour from my job, gas money’s eating a hole through my soul as well.

• Lightor@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I get you, but the other option is to burn money every month on rent. I think a lot of your issues are solved it you can work remote and have a good home owners warranty.

But yes, interest rates make a HUGE difference.

• Acters@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Alternatively, buy a plot of land from an area less desired by the general public. Have the house built yourself, and move in. House buying is not smart unless you are pressed for time, which is not a smart way of handling it as you should take your time with houses.

Buying a house or land in an area that is saturated with demand is also unwise. Live within your means. Most who are able to afford land and house are more than capable of affording more time away from the job or remotely work. If your job requires a lot of your time, then it is more wise to just rent a small room and take vacations outside the area. There are a lot of factors in place when you consider a house, and you made great examples.

I am sorry about the interest rate. A 6.5% rate is not the worst but disadvantageous because, historically, most ROI for safe investments are 5%. This means it is more beneficial to pay off the house than it is to diversify while you are paying the house. Which is bad because you should be diversifying your portfolio. My sister has a 2% interest rate, she is so lucky and I tell her to diversify instead of putting all her money towards paying off the house.