Idk if this is the right community for this conversation, but it’s been on my mind and I want to share it with someone.

In the 00’s every new thing we heard about the internet was exciting. There were new protocols, new ways to communicate, new ways to share files, new ways to find each other. Every time we heard anything new about the internet, it was always progress.

That lasted into the early teens and then things started changing. Things started stagnating. Now we’re well into the phase where every new piece of news we hear is negative. New legislations, new privacy intrusions, new restrictions, new technologies to lock content away and keep us from sharing, or seeing the content we were looking for. New ways to force ads.

At one point the Internet was my most favorite thing in the world. Now I don’t know if I even like it anymore. I certainly don’t look forward to hearing news about it. It’s sad, man. We’ve lost a lot. The mega corps took the internet from us, changed it from a million small sites that people created because they had big ideas, or were passionate about small ones, and turned it into a few enormous sites with no new ideas, no passion, just an insatiable desire for money.

We’re at the end of an era, and unlike the last 20 years of progress, I don’t think most of us will like what the next era brings.

• allocsb
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m not apathetic and don’t know where you got that impression friend!!!

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’m not apathetic

No shit. Your sermons about how people need to stop caring about things being bad and getting worse definitely rung hollow.

and don’t know where you got that impression friend!!!

Dodge all the labels you like friend but no amount of exclamation marks is making you any less transparent!!!

• allocsb
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

For real though, the subject of this thread is whether the Internet is or isn’t fun anymore it doesn’t mention or allude to enshittification and ignoring the topic of the thread by forcing that context is pretty mean. I know you don’t like capitalism but do you expect people to be receptive to what you have to say when you detail them and don’t care about what they have to say?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

it doesn’t mention or allude to enshittification

It does, even if you wish it didn’t. Lots of other people felt the same way in the comments even if you don’t like that.

On the other hand, your apathy sermon offers nothing to that person. It’s not just a thought-terminating cliche. It’s clearly failed you as well because you’re still here and you’re still posting.

• allocsb
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I still don’t get why you think it’s apathetic or doesn’t offer anything. All I’m saying is you have to change with the world and the world isn’t the Internet

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

All I’m saying is you have to change with the world and the world isn’t the Internet

If it’s that simple and that easy, logout logout-lemmy and work those hustlegrindy miracles! Concern trolling people here with your not-apathy sermons about the coolness of apathy is wasting your precious hustlegrindy time! Change the world already!

Or better yet, don’t. Stay here and keep posting about how you’re totally not preaching the virtues of apathy while preaching the virtues of apathy. That’s probably better than any version of improving the world that you in particular have in mind.

So continue. Keep telling me how much you don’t care about not caring while skydiving and doing crossfit while securing the Jones account and selling the rights to your exciting new blockchain-based startup. antelope-popcorn

• allocsb
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Ok I’m home now my final thoughts are you’ve massively projected your world view upon the kind of person I actually am and some day you’ll learn that arguing on the Internet doesn’t solve anything!

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

some day you’ll learn that arguing on the Internet doesn’t solve anything

What are you still doing here then, exactly?

You are very important and must continue providing updates about your very important dynamic Vincent Adultman lifestyle where you’re hustlegrinding and on a mission to change the world. congratulations