• Baŝto
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Unity made it clear that reinstalling on the same device doesn’t count. Though installing on multiple devices counts since they don’t track who installed it.

• average650@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Did they clarify how they track “the same device”? If I replace my SSD, is that’s new device? Gpu? Motherboard? Cpu? Get more ram? Reinstall the OS?

And even then, I usually install on 2-3 different devices. And what happens when 10 years down the road I want to okay it again and install it on 2 more devices?

• Baŝto
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Do installs of the same game by the same user across multiple devices count as different installs?

We treat different devices as different installs. We don’t want to track identity across different devices.

Is collecting the install data GDPR and CCPA compliant?

The method we are using to calculate installs is currently derived from aggregated data from various sources collected in compliance with all privacy laws and used to build a confidence around our estimate. If anything changes, we will provide you with notice and compliance mechanisms to assure all parties remain in compliance with applicable laws. Please note we will always work with our customers to ensure accurate billing.

Will games made with Unity phone-home to track installs?

We will refine how we collect install data over time with a goal of accurately understanding the number of times the Unity runtime is distributed. Any install data will be collected in accordance with our Privacy Policy and applicable privacy laws.

https://unity.com/pricing-updates#unity-runtime-fee

They likely don’t track identities because that would be personal information, which is what GDPR protects.

• Doug@union.place
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

@basxto I appreciate you running point for Unity on this, but “from various sources collected in compliance with all privacy laws” says nothing.

Easy enough to wait and see how they do phone home, and with what data they send back though.

• Baŝto
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Their posts sounded a lot like they already collected that data based their pricing on that. They are desperate to become profitable, I don’t think they themselves thought this was the best idea.

I would like to see godot rise.