I’m usually a fan of open source games but rarely do they manage to be actually great. People like giving recommendations like Super Tux Kart that haven’t aged well and don’t play well. What are some open source games that are legitimately good that I’ve missed?

My favorites are:

• Mindustry

• Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart

• Powder Toy

• GZDoom (and all the amazing mods for it)

• Veloren (even though it’s still in alpha)

• @s20@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Battle for Wesnoth

This one never gets the love it deserves. It’s a fantastic turn based strategy game with multiple campaigns and storylines, multiplayer, and campaign design tools. It’s an old project (started in 2003, IIRC), but it’s still fantastic

Hedgewars

Basically, this is Worms but with adorable little hedgehogs instead of, well, worms. Single player is okay, and it has online multiplayer I guess, but the real fun (just like in Worms) is local multiplayer. Also, it has Portal Guns. There’s really no downside to this one.

Re-volt io and RVGL

This one’s a little iffy. Re-volt was a fantastic R / C racing game with bright graphics, fun tracks, excellent controls, and a killer soundtrack. For good or ill, it was put out by Acclaim, which self destructed in 2004. The Re-volt fan community, however, doesn’t know the meaning of the word “quit.”

Nowadays, you can join a lively community with regular online tournaments of the game. There’s a new cross platform engine called RVGL (that’s Re Volt Game Launcher), and metric tonnes of mods and fan content. You still need the original game’s assets, though, which is where it’s dicey; they’re technically abandonware not open source, unless I’m mistaken.

Anyway, links!

Unciv

This project’s aim is to be Civilization V, but with more abstract visuals, and, or course, free. In short, it’s FreeCiv, but Civ V instead of II and a UI from the 2020s rather than the 80s. (Not throwing shade here; FreeCiv is an amazing project that is exactly what it wants to be!)

If that’s not enough to keep ya’ happy, I know a few more, but they’ve mostly been covered by other folks here.

Edit: formatting

• @TopRamenBinLaden@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I just discovered Unciv on the fdroid store very recently and it blew me away. It is such a well done little Civ 5 clone.

I am definitely going to try Hedgewars. Worms was one of my favorite games when I was a kid.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

• @miss_brainfart@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      58 months ago

I never even knew about Hedgewars’ existence, but Warmux on the other hand… Now that’s my childhood right there

• @s20@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        48 months ago

I feel you. Warmux was really neat. Sadly, it never got as much development as Hedgewars, even though the mascot theme was really cool. AFAIK, Warmux has been inactive (or at least extremely slow) for years, while Hedgewars has been thriving.