Specifically thinking of stuff that make your life better in the long run but all kinds of answers are welcome!

I’ve recently learnt about lifetraps and it’s made a huge positive impact on how I view myself and my relationships

• @DogMuffins
    link
    English
    38 months ago

What does it all mean though?

• @kromem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      108 months ago

It means people were debating intelligent design vs evolution at a time when people used to pee on their hands to clean them.

And at that time, they had no scientific methods to evaluate which side was correct, so the people who in hindsight were proven correct were able to be dismissed and forgotten by their peers and later generations.

Leucretius described light as made up of tiny indivisible parts that moved really quickly. The experiment proving the particle behavior of light is what got Einstein his Nobel prize 2,000 years later.

From this foundation Leucretius claimed that the sun, giving off light, was not an infinite resource and would one day itself die. This was only a few centuries after Anaxagoras was exiled from Athens for claiming the moon was a giant rock reflecting the sun’s light.

In a single book are ideas literally over a thousand years before their time (in part due to intentional suppression by the church), and my guess is that until the comment above, you had no idea.

And that’s unfortunate.

That’s what it means.