I’m usually a fan of open source games but rarely do they manage to be actually great. People like giving recommendations like Super Tux Kart that haven’t aged well and don’t play well. What are some open source games that are legitimately good that I’ve missed?

My favorites are:

• Mindustry

• Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart

• Powder Toy

• GZDoom (and all the amazing mods for it)

• Veloren (even though it’s still in alpha)

• @ArtikBanana@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    128 months ago

Thrive

tl;dr: a better Spore

From the site:

Thrive is a free, open-source game about the evolution of life.

From the lowly tidepools of your home planet, you will rise to cosmic dominance. At every step, powerful creation tools and deep simulation mechanics will aid your species’ development. Revolutionary Games is the open-source team of dedicated volunteers aiming to make Thrive a reality.

Our team seeks to accomplish two major goals: create engaging, compelling gameplay that respects our players’ intelligence, and remain as accurate as possible in our depiction of known scientific theory without compromising the former.

• @Muffi@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        28 months ago

If you like that kind of stuff, check out The Sapling, which is being developed and devlogged by this cool nerdy dude who I think is dutch.

The game is like an “eco dwarf-fortress” evolution simulator, and it’s been amazing to follow the development of.