Sitting close to a giant tv just isn’t the same as seeing something on a legit giant screen.

• Hunter2
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Well, unless you are watching the special format most films are still finished/screened at 2k. Sure, the cinema DCP will be way higher bitrate, but depending on the title, you’ll hardly notice it.

Having a big oled playing blu-rays a couple meters in front of you will definitely beat out going to a random theater because of the freedom you have + HDR.

I make sure to catch re-releases of classics or films I adore in the silver screen. But being aware of how things are run backstage (cinemas playing streams or small files), we’re long past the era of there being a gap between home and cinemas.

• korewa@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I run an oled it’s contract is definitely good but You should check out a Dolby cinema if you haven’t it Comes close but much bigger screen

• Lauchs@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Again, to each their own! I love seeing a beautiful masterpiece at twice the size of God. There’s something about watching incredible visuals at larger than life sizes. Maybe with a giant high def wall screen projector you could come close but to me, seeing something on a 70 feet screen destroys my high end 65" tv any day of the week.

There’s also something to be said about surrendering your freedom. I watched Skinamarink in a legit theatre and had I not, I would have absolutely succumbed to the boredom and taken out my phone. Or done anything else. But that boredom and lack of anything else is exactly what made that movie work. It may be a unique case but it absolutely made it better.