• emeralddawn45
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I feel like you’re the one mythologizing your childhood, and the original movies only seem ‘lighthearted’ when viewed through a lens of nostalgia and time passed. The original movies really aren’t that lighthearted if you really think about them, stuff filmed in the 70s just has that Patina of age that makes it hard to take seriously.

• Lauchs@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I think I’ve mostly said silly and fun rather than lighthearted.

But the basic idea is that they are at the same level of adventure, stakes and seriousness as most children’s movies. You wouldn’t call the Lion King a serious film would you? Even though it’s probably not light-hearted if you think about it. (Same is true for most children’s movies, think Land Before Time, most big Disney/Pixar classics etc.)

A more serious film, for example, probably grapples with Alderaan’s destruction and mentions it outside of two immediate reactions.

• Lauchs@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Yeah, honestly I’m a little surprised. In the wider community (or at least, my highly non scientific polling of a soccer team, volleyball group and movie friends) it seems pretty understood that Star Wars is a great kids movie that mostly works for all ages.

Heck, even George Lucas has said they were for kids "I wasn’t supposed to say this then, or now, but it’s a film for 12-year-olds,” he says. “In the real world … critics … certain fans. They’re not very nice.”

But damn are people riled up about that and instead insisting it’s a very serious series and definitely not for kids.

It’s kinda wild.

• neptune@dmv.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

The magic of a good kids movie is that it engages the adults too. So I mean yeah, star wars is at least on some level pretty serious.

Luke did see his adoptive aunt and uncle roasted by the government. I mean that’s pretty serious. So is genocide and torture. Three things we witness in the first hour if the first move.

• Lauchs@lemmy.worldOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

I mean, on the same level of seriousness as most Disney films. Think 101 Dalmatians which is a bunch of puppies trying not to be skinned alive. Or Shrek which has torture, family separation/imprisonment (one of whom is later skinned and turned into a rug), floating eyeballs, a tyrannical monarchy etc.

And just like Star Wars, it would feel a little odd to put a gritty/serious movie in either of those universes without a dramatic retooling a la Cruella, which even then wasn’t wildly serious. In my opinion at least.

(Also, I don’t think we see any genocide in New Hope. Are you thinking the Jawas? Because that struck me as standard killing, not a “kill all Jawas.”)

• Lauchs@lemmy.worldOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  9 months ago

Ahhhhh. I’d never figured they were their own race but I getchya. We don’t really have a good word for “murder a whole planet.” At least, not until GRR Martin starts writing sci fi.