Image description: Two images. The top image is of a sign for a “Back to the Bible Holiness Church*” that reads “God created man & woman Satan made gays and transgender gen 5:2”. The bottoms image is of a women sitting on a porch wearing sunglasses, dark clothes, and smoking. The caption reads “Praise Satan.”

• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Religions are fine, it’s large organized religions with a focus on showing off that tend to be used to commit atrocities.

Afaik not much violence has been done in the name of buddha or ganesha, and the satanic temple is an officially recognized religion in the USA at least and they’re just objectively good.

• eestileib@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Check out the Sri Lankan Civil War before you’re so quick to dismiss the idea of Hindu & Buddhist religious violence. The founder of LTTE (“Tamil Tigers”) was very explicit that he was inspired by the Bhagavad-Gita to run an organization heavily featuring suicide bombings and violent extortion of Tamil communities in other countries.

Look at Ayodhya, Amritsar, sectarian violence in Gujurat, or all of the Hindutva rhetoric from Modi. Not to mention the entire history of violent enforcement of caste privilege.

• ???@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yeah, tbh I wish I knew more about the Indian caste system so I can properly understand how horrible it is. It’s like someone who has never lived in a capitalist society, doesn’t understand what steam trains are or what mustard gas is, and has only a basic understanding of the Abrahamic religions mostly via American Christianity, trying to explain the Holocaust to themselves beyond “Nazis kill children” and “Hitler was an evil overlord who hated Jews”; It gets the general picture (slave labor, cruel oppression, etc.) but is far too vague to trigger the sadness, anger and desire to never forget or repeat it that should accompany it.

• ThatFembyWho@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

and also never forget that the Catholic church, some of whom were actual nazis, helped war criminals escape to south america. The US also had a hand in that, to counter communist movements.

But yeah, back to how much religions suck. All of them with no exception.

Any good quality they impart is better derived from secular humanism, imo

• ThatFembyWho@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

People overlook it because they’re largely ignorant of Eastern religions, and they’ve somehow embedded themselves in our culture as this kinda harmless alternative/mystical belief system that can solve all problems.

But when I saw Buddhist monks leading rampaging mobs against the Rohingya in Myanmar… let’s say the scales fell from my eyes.