Ever had one those moments in life when you know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, you are making a very, very bad decision, with a great chance for instant regret and a miserable, probably long lasting, outcome and notheless followed that path?

Yeah, that one. Care to share with us?

I’ll start. I dated a person, after we had already dated for a very short time, during which I was cheated on and eventually was left for a fourth person.

Yeah, not my brightest moment. And yes, I was cheated on again and again was left for another person.

• La Paloma Oma
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

On the sixth level of a scaffold next to a staircase in the shell state, which was still completely open (from above I could look down to the floor a few stories below and possibly also fall), I was supposed to glue polyurethane strips and a sealing sheet to the roof slab. However, the scaffolding had already been partially dismantled, which meant I was hanging on the scaffolding with one arm and bridged the distance of over a meter with my body and outstretched arm to do my work. No safety, I could have become goo very quickly… stupid sense of duty and disregard for all the rules. I knew full well I shouldn’t be doing this right now, but let myself get pressured. But in the end it was a valuable lesson in self-esteem and fuck your boss’s deadlines.

• Thurstylark@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Had a similar moment, but refused to work on the basis of safety, and don’t regret it one bit. Installing speakers on poles for a rooftop bar 20 stories up, and we needed 6-foot ladders to reach the mount. Boss said do the thing, I said you can fuck all the way off until I’m in a harness. Boss didn’t want to wait for the harness that was already on its way, and did it himself.

He knew he’d be turbofucked if it took longer than his boss thought it would take because he didn’t think to bring a harness in the first place, and even more turbofucked if it came to light that he requested we work without it, so he just did it himself to save his own ass. It doesn’t matter if he survived, he was a stupid idiot for stepping one rung up on that ladder without a harness.

For reference, this is the same dude who said that driving 17 hours in a van to a job site was just the same as sitting on the couch at home, so we should feel lucky that we’re getting paid for it. He was not a smart man.

• qyron@sopuli.xyzOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

That is borderline suicidal.

Just for my personal clarification: what does “turbofucked” implies? Because it sounds scary.

• datavoid@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Turbofucking is what happens after finger blasting, if I remember correctly

• Zoop@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

You are correct. Judas Priest even wrote a song about it!

🎶 “I’m your turbofucker! Tell me there’s no other!” 🎶