While camping, I noticed that if you look long enough at almost any star, you start seeing some tiny, subtle colors in that star. Even crazier, they sometimes flicker between more colors. In my case orange, blue and something like cyan.

Besides constellations, what else could you observe regarding starts, with the naked eye?

• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Don’t think this is true. I didn’t find any good sources. Wikipedia mainly talks about sunlight like it arrives down here. But if you google ‘sun spectrum’ the images that show up look more like the peak is in the blue range.

Also mind your eyes aren’t perfect measuring devices. Their sensitivity also isn’t linear. For example we’re more sensitive to green light if I remember correctly. Because of evolution and lots of things in nature are green.

• blargerer@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Its ‘true’. But we just call those kinds of stars white. Green is the middle wavelength we can see (because our suns output is centered there). It also outputs lots of all visible light though. Red stars and Blue stars are red or blue because their central output is shifted towards a different part of the EM spectrum, and red/blue are the outer wavelengths on either side.

• rufus
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I don’t quite get why they say ‘the Sun’s visible output peaks in the green’. And immediately follow that up with a diagram where the peak is somewhere between blue and cyan… Or are my eyes off?

• rufus
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I hope I don’t sound too argumentative, because I really don’t actually care too much about the exact color of sunlight. But I think this is a diagram from earth’s perspective. It has these dents in the longer wavelengths where certain frequencies get absorbed by elements it traveled through, and the UV is filtered out. Both indicators it went through the atmosphere.

• InputZero@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

What they’re really saying is that the dominant wavelength our sun emits is around 500 nm. Which by definition is green light. Astronomers also call everything heavier than helium a metal, which isn’t true but that’s how they work.