• rikonium
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

My favorite is that their seeming takeaway from the success of Barbie is to go heads deep into TOY MOVIES.

• asteriskeverything@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Ikr when we really want more Ryan gosling and Margot robbie! How is that not obvious to them???

That said my favorite thing about it is they finally managed to nail that elusive women market and don’t even understand why. Wonder woman, reboot Ghostbusters, so many half assed money grab attempts thinking feminism is just lame rah rah girl power. Yet it’s the barbie movie that nails it and captures all audience’s. And the answer is more toy movies haha.

• Zeth0s@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Sorry, but Barbie and feminism in the same sentence is painful to hear. Feminism is about changing society to make it more equal, not barbie… Barbie is about selling the most conservative toy ever (together with j.i.joe)

That’s why everyone is going to the toy movies. Because the political message of barbie is as fake as barbie, but it helps selling toys

• Nudding@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                9 months ago

Unless the movie can erase 75 years of unrealistic beauty standards, does it matter how nice the movie made you feel?

• asteriskeverything@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 months ago

What matters is the message the movie has to say and it had a true feminist message about equality.

Also The cast had barbies and Kens of all ethnicities and sizes.

And the movie was a really important moment for a lot of women and girls. I think it’s super closed minded to the point you’re the one missing out if you won’t give it a chance just because it is based around a toy with a problematic history.

• Nudding@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    9 months ago

How will I ever recover. Sorry I can’t be bought with pro corporation propaganda disguised as feel good movies.

Stop consumer culture.

• Whirlybird@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Well tbf it make sense. Barbie would not have been anywhere close to as successful as it was if it wasn’t based on the hugely successful and popular barbie line of toys. It was the same with transformers…… and ninja turtles……and countless others. People know and love and have an existing connection to these brands, so they’re more likely to see a movie about them.

Movie companies exist to make money. At the moment superhero movies and nostalgia-bait movies (of which superhero movies are) make money. Now barbie proved that girls toy movies can make money, obviously they’re going to turn their attention there, where previously it was focussed on boys action figures and comics.