• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

dude if people can find the money for cars they can absolutely find the money for an e-bike. the “but hills” argument died like at least 5 if not 10+ years ago.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I can’t fit two kids and a dog into an ebike. I can’t even take that on the highway, or use it if it rains. So I need a car, and an ebike is a luxury.

• MilesMcBain@fosstodon.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

@themeatbridge @Swedneck most families will find it hard to do without a car, but then most families (at least where I live) have more than 1 car. Rather than being a luxury the 1 car + N e-bikes setup is cheaper and often more convenient for local trips, which tends to be quite a significant proportion. We access school, library, pool, shops, doctors, cinemas, our workplaces etc via e-bike. With kids. Sometimes in the rain. Sometimes with a dog.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

How do you get kids and a dog on an ebike?

The library is close, but up a treacherous windy road with no room for bikes and cars that drive too fast. We have walked there, but we’ll usually drive to rhe nearby park and then walk.

None of the other locations you mentioned are accessible via bike, even e-bike, in less than an hour ride time. Do you really make sick kids pedal a bike to the doctor?